Duration: 8-12 Months
Deadline: 15 February 2023
The Gosling-Lim Postdoctoral Fellowship in Southeast Asian Studies has been made possible by a generous gift from L.A. Peter Gosling and Linda Yuen-Ching Lim. This fellowship is focused on capability-building in Southeast Asian Studies among scholars who are Southeast Asian nationals based in Southeast Asia and at Southeast Asian institutions. Its goal is to enable such scholars to concentrate on publishing their dissertation research, and/or embark on new post-dissertation research, without the distraction of having to teach, consult, or shoulder administrative burdens, and with the opportunity to expand their scholarly networks and expertise. The intent is that fellowship recipients will develop their careers in Southeast Asia, helping to advance the field of Southeast Asian Studies within the region.
The fellowship provides US $52,000 of funding for postdoctoral research and writing, to be expended over 8-12 months while the recipient is in residence or otherwise based at an academic institution, in Southeast Asia or abroad, other than their home institution and the institution at which their doctorate was obtained. The fellowship may be used in any discipline and for any country of Southeast Asia (i.e., Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam). It is intended to be awarded every other year, with the possibility of becoming an annual fellowship depending on the success of its first years of implementation.
Who Is Eligible?
- Southeast Asian nationals with single nationality holding the Ph.D. degree or equivalent who are—or will be—engaged in the academic profession in Southeast Asia, and whose research is on Southeast Asia. The degree must have been achieved between 1 and 3 years prior to the start of the award. Independent scholars who intend to obtain an institutional position in future may apply.
- Dual nationals may apply on the condition that for at least two years after the fellowship completion, they will be based in Southeast Asia to actively contribute to, and shape, the field of Southeast Asian Studies without leaving the region for work elsewhere.
- Applicants must hold the Ph.D. at the time of application. Doctoral candidates are not eligible to apply.
- AAS membership is not a requirement.
- Applicants must not have received a Southeast Asia-focused research and writing fellowship of this type within the past three years.
- A former Gosling-Lim Postdoctoral Fellow may not apply again.
The application portal is open for the 2023-24 Gosling-Lim Postdoctoral Fellowship. The application deadline will be February 15, 2023, including the letters of Reference. For more information, please visit the website here.