CfA: Visiting Researcher Travel Grants (The Elling Eide Center Research Library and Preserve)

Application deadline: year round (applications are reviewed on a rolling basis)
Institution: The Elling Eide Center Research Library and Preserve, Sarasota, FL, USA

The Elling Eide Center Research Library and Preserve welcomes applications for its Visiting Scholars and Researchers Grant. Applications from scholars and researchers of all disciplinary backgrounds will be considered, but preference will be given to applicants whose research focuses on topics related to China, Inner Asia, or greater East Asia before 1500 CE.

Applicants will receive up to $1,000 for travel or other expenses for the duration of their stay. In addition, free lodging will be available on site in our guest house, just a few minutes walk from the library. Visiting scholars will also have access to the Eide Center research library and electronic resources, access to office space (if available), and printing, scanning, photocopying, and mailing privileges. Wireless internet is available in all facilities.

Situated on a beautiful 72-acre waterfront preserve on Little Sarasota Bay, the Center’s research library houses more than 60,000 volumes covering every period of Chinese history from ancient times to the modern era and an extensive collection of more than 300 scholarly journals from around the world. Areas of concentration include medieval China from the fourth through tenth centuries, pre-modern peoples and languages of Central and Inner Asia, and poetry of the Tang Dynasty, a field in which Elling O. Eide made a significant and lasting scholarly mark. Holdings are in Chinese, Uyghur, English, Japanese, Korean, Russian, German, and French.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Positions are available year round, including summer. The duration of stay is flexible and should be determined by the research and writing agenda of the applicant.

Prospective Visiting Scholar and Researcher Prerequisites:
Visiting Scholars must hold a Ph.D. or MFA and have a teaching position at a university.

Visiting Graduate Researchers must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking graduate program and be in the research and writing stage of their thesis or dissertation.

To learn more about the application process, please visit the website here.