Event: Young Scholars’ Symposium in Asian Art
Date: 17 June 2023
Deadline: 13 March 2023
Place: Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
The Royal Society of Asian Art in the Netherlands (Koninklijke Vereniging van Vrienden der Aziatische Kunst, KVVAK) is pleased to announce the Young Scholars’ Symposium in Asian Art on 17 June 2023.
The symposium is now open for abstract submissions from BA and MA students, PhD candidates, and early career researchers in the fields of art history, history, archaeology, environmental art history, architecture, anthropology, contemporary art and design. Proposals for research papers (max. 20 min) and focus papers (max. 8 min) on any aspect of Asian art and the art and material culture of exchange between Asia and Europe are welcome.
- Anne Gerritsen, Chair of Asian Art, Universiteit Leiden (The Chair of Asian Art at Leiden University is sponsored by KVVAK, Hulsewé-Wazniewski Stichting, Isaac Alfred Ailion Foundation, Jan Menze van Diepenstichting, J.M. Boll (1942-2020) en Pauline Boll-Kruseman and Erven familie E. Veder-Smit)
- Royal Society of Asian Art in the Netherlands (KVVAK)
- Ikigai (KVVAK young professionals network)
- National Museum of World Cultures
The symposium will be held at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, the home of the KVVAK’s collection.
Application deadline: March 13th, 2023
Acceptance notification: March 27th, 2023
Full paper submission deadline: May 29th, 2023
For the selected speakers, the KVVAK will organise an optional pre-event on 16 June at 15:00 o’clock at the Asian Pavilion of the Rijksmuseum. At this event we will take you on a tour through the collection of Asian art, offer the chance to meet some of the curators of the collection, and provide more information on the symposium on 17 June. If you are interested in joining this event, please send an email to email@example.com.
Applications should include:
- an abstract of no more than 250 words
- note for which format you wish to apply (research paper or focus paper)
- a CV and a short biography (150 words)
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For selected presenters from within Europe, we can offer a small bursary for travel costs.
For more information, please visit the website here.
Image: May Thrung Thú (Vietnamese-French, 1906-1980), Le Rideau